Saturday 14 June 2014

Zupa Ogórkowa (Polish Pickle Soup)

I went to Poland recently and thoroughly enjoyed all the vegan food I could get my hands on. Since then, I've been bookmarking hundreds of recipes to try out. I'm not up to making vegan smoked sausage yet, but I have tried my hand at some Polish soups. Zupa Ogórkowa consists of potatoes, grated pickles and vegetables in a rich, milky broth.


Zupa Ogórkowa

Serves 3
Based on this recipe

Ingredients

1 leek
2 carrots
1 onion
1.25 litres vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
6 peppercorns
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
6 pickles
4 potatoes
250 ml soy milk

Method

1. Slice the leeks. Dice the carrot and the first onion. Add to a soup pot with the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer until the vegetables are soft. Add the bay leaf and peppercorns.

2. Dice the remaining onion and mince the garlic. Grate the pickles. Heat some margarine or oil in a pan and fry the onion until golden. Add the garlic and fry for a minute, then add the pickles and fry for a few minutes, until most of their liquid has evaporated. Add to the soup pot.

3. Peel and dice the potatoes. Add them to the pot and cook until soft. Mix in the soy milk and heat briefly. Remove the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

thetelegrapher said...

Thanks Agnieszka, I'll have a look at your website!

Sandra said...

Omg, this seems so delish! Polish food is awesome.

thetelegrapher said...

It is! It's a funny coincidence that you found this recipe today: I found your blog just yesterday, through the vegan food blog guide! Your recipes looked so good and easy that I changed my dinner plans and made one instead straight away, haha. It was your pasta with sunflower seed cream, very yummy. Next on the list are your pierogi, I love how easy the dough looks.

Sandra said...

Haha, that is so awesome!! I found your blog today via FindingVegan. I noticed this soup and my mouth started to water. Definitely gonna make it soon. And now I scrolled through your blog and I totally love it. Your dishes are very similar to my kitchen and the way I love to cook. And yes, those pierogi are so-so simple! And you can make any kind of filling.

Lots of warm wishes from Estonia :) <3